Help keep the
Royals playing

Shropshire Junior Football League
Shropshire FA

The FA


Royals Match Report

Pressure on Royals after latest defeat
Shrewsbury Juniors 2-1 Royals (Hearle)
(League, 19-04-09)

Royals were just pipped at the post this afternoon, in their game against already crowned league champions Shrewsbury Juniors. Although they came away without anything, they can be pleased with their performance and were possibly unlucky not to come away with a point.

Royals found themselves stretched in number again, with Leech out through injury and Watts unavailable for selection and a third player not showing up on the day. They therefore only had the bare 11 players, which was always going to be tough on a hot day.

Despite soaking up much of the early pressure, it was the Royals who took a deserved lead. Some determined battling by Fielding on the left wing, gave him an opportunity to send a pass to Moffat. Seeing that Hearle was in space, Moffat passed the ball over to him and the Royals winger shot home off the post to make the score 1-0.

Royals continued to push hard, but were unable to find a way through the strong Juniors' defence to increase their lead. Then, after 24 minutes the equaliser came. Some great passing between their forwards was too much for the Royals' defence to cope with and ended with keeper Keugler having to pick the ball out of the net.

Shrewsbury could have increased their lead with 7 minutes remaining. A free kick was awarded for a foul by defender Smith. The Shrewsbury player stepped up and struck home an unstoppable shot, but the referee disallowed it, as he had awarded an indirect free kick.

The teams went in at half time with the score at 1-1 and the Royals were told to keep passing the ball around and let the ball do the work, to conserve their energy.

Royals had to contend with a slight uphill slope in the second half, but defended well on the whole. Hearle seemed to have more space on the right side of the pitch and caused problems for the opposition's defence on numerous occasions.

Half way through the second half Shrewsbury scored their winner. Some panic defending and a goal mouth scramble saw the ball superbly cleared off the line by Agnew but the forward was able to hit the back of the net with his second attempt.

It was always going to be difficult to come back from behind against a well organised side. However the Royals battled on, not prepared to accept defeat. With 4 minutes to go, Moffat nearly got an equaliser when took on 3 players and found himself with a shooting opportunity, but unfortunately his shot sailed inches past the post.

A much improved performance over that of the last match and the Royals can take this into their final game away against Shrewsbury Juniors Colts next weekend.

Team: Keugler, Agnew, Green, Al-Houbani, Smith, Miles, Weynberg, Hearle, Fielding, Moffat, Lewis


Official Kit Sponsor

Shropshire Football Association (Affiliation number EYS 00070)



All parts of this website are 2005-09 Church Stretton Royals FC
Please report broken links to